On SNL and Black Women In Pop Culture: Hiring Sasheer Zamata

When I heard that Sasheer Zamata was joining the cast of Saturday Night Live, I was hesitantly excited. There is a part of me that wants to trust the system, to believe the keepers of the system that says that they have not found the right person. But there is another part of me that lives in this country, have seen minorities getting the short shrift because the majority culture

Read More...

Doctor Who 50th Anniversary Special: Across the Universe

Over the course of 50 years, we’ve visited many places, both real and imaginary, from the past, present, and future. We’ve learned things, been scared by some of the fiercest villains in history, and still we come back for more. It’s not just the writing or the acting; it is also our imagination that carries us through. 50 years. That’s a long time. From the very first episode of Doctor

Read More...

Editor’s Note: We wanted to jump in on the Halloween goodness in the television section and talk about the things that truly horrified us in our television watching. In the short form, it’s hard to grab a bit of horror from television. Tales from the Crypt, Are You Afraid of the Dark?, Twilight Zone, and other shows have done a very good job of giving us a scare – or

Read More...

I am a huge fan of Seth MacFarlane. I try to make all of my friends watch his movie, Ted, and I greatly enjoy 90% of his shows. Now though, through “Heckuva Job, Brownie,” I think I’ve found the other 10%. “Is this an intervention?” “It’s whatever it needs to be to get you back on drugs.” When I heard that MacFarlane was working on a live action sitcom with

Read More...